Growing up, I learned a lot about Italian comfort food by watching my grandmother cook. I still enjoy preparing the classic Italian dishes I learned from her. These donuts are a delicious, whimsical, authentic Italian dessert – and they’re easy to prepare at home.
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 ¼ cups warm water
- ½ ounce dry yeast
- Vegetable oil as needed
- Sugar and cinnamon as needed
- Sift flour and mix with salt.
- Add yeast to warm water and let sit 2-3 minutes.
- Mix yeast water into flour and mix just until all is incorporated. It should be wet and sticky.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
- Heat 2” oil in a deep frying pan.
- With oiled hands, stretch ¼ cup of dough at a time into oil and fry until golden brown on both sides turning as needed (best done with two people – one to turn and one to stretch the dough).
- Dip in sugar and cinnamon and enjoy!